/*Drop Down Menu*/

Monday, October 13, 2008

Vánoèka

I know it may have been a long time ago, but I do remember graduating from high school. I even went on to college and completed my degree. So why is it that I am still doing high school homework? And middle school and grade school homework too for that matter! LOL

Christopher has an assignment for English class to look into his ancestry and their cultures. He decided to learn more about our Austrian heritage. He chose a food to represent the culture. If they choose a food for the project, they must bring it in. Now that is one smart English teacher!
Christopher chose Vánoèka . It's pronounced Va-nooch-ka. It is a classic Austrian/Czech. Christmas bread. Amazingly he was able to research the culture and ideas for the project without my help!
This turned into a homework project that I really enjoyed helping with. It takes about 6 hours to make this bread. I loved having that time with Chris to chit-chat and work together. He seemed to really enjoy it too!
There is orange rind, almonds, dark and golden raisins in this bread along with some seasonings. The bread smelled wonderful throughout the process. After it baked, we could hardly wait to try it.
Christopher has asked if we could set aside time each Christmas to bring this tradition back to our family. Now those are the moments that we live for!

Mostly, we made a disaster of the kitchen! The bigger the mess you make, the more fun the cooking!

2 comments:

  1. I had such a difficult time getting this post to lay out with anything remotely resembling a neat design! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 73 with no ties to this bread. Tomorrow, December 30, 2012 I'm going to try it. This is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips