/*Drop Down Menu*/

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Special Gifts

My youngest son is going to make his Confirmation in church this month.  As part of his preparation for this faithful commitment, he has prepared himself to receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit.  This is a very important journey in his life.  I've been working on a special gift for him.  I wanted it to be something that reminds him of all the talents, skills and "gifts" that he possesses.

I altered a plain wooden box (like the one shown here).
I wanted it to have a vintage, aged look. So I painted it and then applied some Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint by Ranger Ink.  I also rubbed it with the matching Distress Ink to help bring out the color and cracks.

I then drew the cross pattern.  To get the look of stained glass I used micro glass beads in various colors.  I used markers and Smooch Ink under the micro beads to enhance the colors. Each section of the beads was applied using Glossy Accents adhesive.  For the black "metal" framing I used Black Diamond Stickles Glitter Glue.  I then coated that area of the lid with another layer of Glossy Accents to seal the beads.

The stamped images are a Tim Holtz set that I stamped on ivory card stock and distressed them.  I adhered them to the lid and decoupaged them using Mod Podge.
Inside the box I will placing trinkets to represent each of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.  I created a note to my son including the list of trinkets, distressed it and decoupaged it inside the box lid.
I'm hoping that he will appreciate this gift for many years to come!

4 comments:

  1. Cathy,

    This is beautiful. Thanks for all the info - I just looked at the image in your post on SB.com and thought the cross looked like a mini hooked piece of art (not latch hook but the weaving of strips of wool into intricate designs). I think you did a great job.

    Corrie fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know he definitely WILL appreciate it! It is so beautiful. That cross image is gorgeous. There is so much LOVE in this gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!! those micro beads look amazing in that cross pic! and what a wonderful gift you are giving him! :)

    congrats to your son on his confirmation.

    hugs,
    sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave.com in the Tutorials category today [19 Mar 01:26pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips