/*Drop Down Menu*/

Monday, April 5, 2010

Puzzle

April is Autism Awareness Month.  I created this layout using the colors in the Autism ribbon.  My two oldest sons are both on the Autism Spectrum.  When you spend time with them and experience how very different they are, you grow in the appreciation that Autism is a spectral disorder. I don't really like the word "disorder". I don't like disability or handicap either.  That's only due to the derogatory meanings that people apply to them. But I digress!

I used some of the autism ribbon fabric on the layout.  I used Fundamentals by Technique Tuesday to trace the puzzle pieces on cardstock and then cut them out. I then laid them out and cut them into a heart shape.  I stitched the heart and the ribbon on to the layout.

The journaling reads: "The two of you are so very different. You are both diagnosed on the autism spectrum. Chris with Asperger's & Kevin with autism. That's where the similarities end. Learning about ASD has been like piecing together a puzzle. You have each taught me that "normal" is just a setting on a washing machine, that we can do more than we think we can, and that you can not define a person by a diagnosis."

I have truly learned a great deal over the years since the first of  my sons was diagnosed. Mainly I have learned how very blessed I am. I have been able to see with new eyes and have experienced a world that I once knew very little about.  It has been and continues to be, a wonderful journey!

I hope you find some inspiration here. If you'd like to learn more about autism, check out some of the links that I have here on my blog or send me an email.  It is a topic I'm very passionate about!

3 comments:

  1. Cathy, this is beautiful! Your journaling is just PERFECT. I love the colors...everything came together so nicely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi (is it Cathy?) I did not know your sons were on the spectrum/ my eight year old has Asperger's also... I know what you mean about the label of this disorder. A therapist once told me I should use the label only as far as it gets me "supports" and "doors opened" for my son so that is what i do.I have just recently discovered scrapping cards myself and it has been a huge stress reliever for me and as you know it can be very stressful to be an AS Mom. I love what you have done here for autism awareness month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the layout - so creative with the puzzle idea. I'd love if you linked up to my Scrappy Saturdays sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips