/*Drop Down Menu*/

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Recycled Ribbon Spool

This year I dressed up our Christmas tree with some new ribbon that I was able to get really cheap at a craft store.  As we finished decorating the tree, my husband asked if he should throw away the empty ribbon spool, he's learned that I like to recycle things. Good boy!  So this spool has been sitting around the house and I've been wondering what to do with it.

As soon as I saw the brand new (just released today) Valentine Retrospect kit by Quirky Twerp, I knew what I wanted to do with that spool.....  Turn it into an awesome Valentine box!
It all started out as this plain old empty spool.
I removed the circle from one end of the spool carefully.  I then sanded the edges of the tube to make them smooth.
In Photoshop, I designed papers to wrap around the outside of the tube, the inside of the tube and to cover the bottom circle, both sides of the top circle as well as some accent pieces.
I want to use this box for some treats at Valentine's Day and maybe to store some special items on my dresser throughout the year. So I wanted the lid to be able to be opened and closed.  Before adhering the paper to the outside of the tube, I adhered some ribbon on one side. I then adhered the paper around the outside of the tube, covering the ribbon on that side.
I then pulled the ribbon across the top opening.

I then applied adhesive to it and secured it between the covered top circle and an accent piece.  I also adhered another piece of ribbon to the bottom of the spool and covered that with paper.  Now when the box is closed, it can be tied up in a pretty bow.


I ran some lace around the edge of the top and the base of the box.  I also decorated the top with roses I made from the Sugar Blossom paper pack. You can see a tutorial for making the roses at this post.

The heart accent is an element in the Valentine Retrospect kit. I cut it out and edged it with some Doodlebug Sugar Coating Glitter.  The leaves are Prima and the rhinestones are Zva.

Here's another look at it.  Hope this inspires you to do some up-cycling/recycling too!




Shared at:

11 comments:

  1. OH my gosh....this is GORGEOUS! Just incredibly beautiful! Who would've ever thought it was a ribbon spool??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Graphics category today [28 Jan 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so creative & I LOVE that you recycled something to make it!! I would have never thought to recycle an empty ribbon spool! Thanks for sharing how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful! Love all the pretty details. Fantastic job recycling an ugly old ribbon spool.
    Thanks for playing along with us at P3!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great way to recycle! This is just gorgeous, thanks so much for playing along at Paper cubed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is genius!!! I have so many of these just waiting for inspiration! you rock!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is just amazing!!! thank you for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty! Such an ingenious idea! I love it! Congratulations on being featured over at Paper Issues! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute idea - I'm pinning it for an idea to make later. I have about a dozen large packing tape cores that I think I can use for something similar.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips