/*Drop Down Menu*/

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Found Objects

Sometimes when we are preserving memories, we would like to include "things" in addition to our photos and journaling.  Often there is memorabilia from an event that we attended, or ephemera from a certain time frame that would we like to have on our pages to conjure up our memories and emotions. Today I am sharing a post at Ideas For Scrapbookers all about including "found objects" in projects.

One of my sons took up collecting bottle caps. It was really fun. Different places we would visit he would save bottle caps from beverages that we might have enjoyed. Some bottle caps he would find at the beach or park.  I thought it was great that he found such interest in building his collection.  He added them all to a stylish jar that he keeps in his bedroom. One day I came across an interesting bottle cap that I thought he didn't have. When I offered it to him for his collection, he told me that the jar was filled so he was done collecting!

He is rather shy, he has autism, and doesn't like to have his photo taken often.  I recently got a good photo of him. I've been wanting to record his bottle collecting for quite some time. I'm so glad that he allowed me 2 caps from his collection to include on this scrapbook page.  I adhered the caps to some copper metal that I embossed and sanded.  I also included a clothing tag from a pair of shorts that I bought him this summer. I really like the grungy, mildly distressed look of it. I added a fabric tag from Little Yellow Bicycle to it and attached it to the page as an element.

I find myself constantly looking at items and thinking about how they can be used on a scrapbook page or in a craft. I love to use the metal from beverage cans for making flowers, coffee filters for creating accent elements, and even using toilet paper rolls to create mini-albums.  My family has learned not to throw things out before asking me if I want to keep it for crafting. Which has created a storage challenge of sorts!  

If you'd like to see even more samples of using "found objects" on your page, take a hop over to Ideas For Scrapbookers to see what some of the other contributing artists shared.








Ingredients:
Patterned Paper: Little Yellow Bicycle
Alpha: American Crafts
Transparencies: Little Yellow Bicycle
Journal Spot: Little Yellow Bicycle
Metal: Ten Seconds Studios
Embossing plates: Ten Seconds Studios, Tim Holtz/Ranger
Tag: found object
Bottle caps: found object

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! I love that you were able to incorporate actual bottle caps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips