/*Drop Down Menu*/

Monday, August 29, 2011

Teacher Appreciation

It's that time of year again.... time to return to school.  School was supposed to start today for us. But thanks to Hurricane Irene, and all the flooding, lack of power, downed trees and blocked roadways, we get one more day of summer vacation!  YEAH!

Teacher gifts are typically something that I work on at the holidays and the end of the school year.  Over at Paper Issues, we started a new theme yesterday, "Learning Curve". So I thought I would share this post with my followers and link it up there too!

If you've been a long time follower, or your subscribe to some crafty mags, you may have seen this project before.  It's been on my blog (way back when I didn't have many followers) and it's been published a time or two.  I altered wooden organizers to create teacher "survival kits" as appreciation gifts.  Here's how I made them.

I started out with some plain wooden boxes that you can get at your local craft store.
I sanded and painted the box.  I then used papers from Cosmo Cricket's The Boyfriend collection to cover the box.  Mod Podge was used to adhere them to the box and as a sealer.
The elements are hybrid from a digital set by WM Squared at Scrapmatters called Back to School: Extras.  I just simply sized them, printed and cut them out.  For the one smaller apple, I coated it in Diamond Glaze to give it a nice shiny, button look.

I also used these elements to make cards to slip into the boxes. Using this link for "survival kits" for some ideas,  I typed up the contents of the "survival kit" and "prayer", added the apple border.  After printing and trimming, I mounted them on cardstock.


I really love how fun it is to combine digital, traditional and hybrid scrapping to make useful items.

Here are some other views of this project:




I hope this gets you inspired to think about teacher appreciation gifts as you head back into the new school year!







Tip Junkie handmade projects

12 comments:

  1. SUPER cute! I taught for 11 years and would have loved to get something like that. Alas, 99% of my gifts were mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! these are like the perfect teacher gifts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool!! I bet you are the favorite Mom of all the teachers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! This is AWESOME! I wish a parent would make me something this cool. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing teachers gift!

    Thanks so much for linking up at Paper Issues

    Lowri
    http://papervinenz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fab project! I wouldn't know where to start! Really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. with a teacher gift like this...who could get less than an A+..

    I give this an A++++++++++++

    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a totally awesome altered project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! I am a teacher and a parent! I would love to make this for my son's teacher at the end of the year- in which craft store do you find this great wooden treat?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi "Anonymous"! I found the wooden boxes at AC Moore. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute! I have an old wooden box with floral designs that is a tissue dispenser with drawers and another one that is a stationary box . . . I think it's time for an update - and a move from home to classroom! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute! I have an old wooden box with floral designs that is a tissue dispenser with drawers and another one that is a stationary box . . . I think it's time for an update - and a move from home to classroom! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips