/*Drop Down Menu*/

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Packed for the Road

Remember a few posts ago I was showing a peek at what I've been working on?  It's time to share some of that! We took a road trip this summer.  It was super fun. I'm working on a mini-album to capture all our great memories.  I'm still working on the mini album, but I wanted to have a special place to keep it.


I made a cute suitcase to store the mini in.  I was inspired by a project that Clare Buswell had shared at The Hybrid Chick.  Now I'm going to share it with you.

Here's what you need to make it:
  • Foam board
  • Brown paper bag (grocery sack)
  • Digital or traditional scrap papers
  • Adhesive (wet and dry)
  • Straight pins
  • Ruler
  • Craft knife
  • Embellishments as desired

The suitcase is basically 2 identical boxes that rest on one another.  First decide on the size and depth that you want. Now draw out the pieces on the foam board that you will need.  You should have 2 larger rectangles, one for the base and one for the lid, as well as 4 long rectangle sides and 4 short rectangle sides (2 of each for the lid and 2 of each for the base). Make sure to allow for the thickness of the foam board when you measure your side pieces.

Use a craft knife and ruler to carefully cut the pieces of foam board.
Assemble the foam board pieces to make the lid and base boxes. Use a wet all purpose craft glue to adhere them.  You can use straight pins to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries.

Open the brown paper grocery sack.  Once the boxes are dry, cover them with the brown paper.  

Place the base on your work surface open side of the box facing up. Invert the lid, and place it on top of the base.  Cut a piece of cardstock in a color that matches the brown paper and adhere it at the seam on one of the long sides. This will become the hinge of the suitcase. It's going to be covered, but you will be able to see a small bit of it on the inside of the suitcase when you open it.  

Cut another piece of the brown paper grocery sack to cover the entire hinged side of the suitcase and adhere it in place.


Adhere the papers you have selected for the inside of your suitcase.

Cut 4 circles with a radius that is the depth of your base or lid.  These will become the corners of the suitcase.  Fold them in half.  Then fold them in half again.  


Cut out one quarter of the circles as shown in the image above.  Adhere these to the outer corners of the lid and base.  I chose to emboss my corners, add a stitched edge and ink them before I attached them.


Add a handle.  I also added a "buckle". I cut a piece of cardstock and attached a button. A set of well placed magnets help to keep the suitcase closed.

Embellish the suitcase as you would like.  I created a scene using digital supplies and some photos from our trip for each side of the suitcase. I also used ribbon to further embellish the case.



Now, if I could just get some work done on the mini to go in it!  I can't wait to show that to you too!












Ingredients:
Foam Board: Elmers
Digital Kit: Journey of the Heart by Elise's Pieces and Kim Broedelet
Ribbon: American Crafts
Adhesive: ACMoore, Beacon, 3M
Button: Stash
Brads: Making Memories
Thread: Coats and Clark
Embossing plate: Provo Cuttlebug
Emboss/Die Cut machine: Provo Cuttebug



3 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [30 Sep 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly amazing Cathy!!! I love your tutorial and might just have to give this a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too awesome!!! I totally have to make one of these right now!!! Thank you so much for sharing the how-to's!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips