/*Drop Down Menu*/

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hot Cocoa Storage

Yeah, I know, winter is nearly gone.  Spring will be here soon!  But there are still several days left to enjoy some hot cocoa!! 

I'm sharing the tutorial for how I created this container.  I use it to store hot cocoa mix packs and K-cups. This is a hybrid project that I did using digital papers and elements. But you can do this with traditional papers too.  

I found a set of 3 nesting round wood boxes with lids at a craft store.  The digital kit I used for this is Frosty by WM Squared Designs. Aren't the colors great? And those elements are so cute!

Items you will need:
  • wooden container
  • lite sandpaper
  • adhesive/sealer
  • trimmer, scissors, craft knife
  • ink, paint (if desired)
  • glitter (if desired)
  • edge punch (if desired)
  • ribbon (if desired)

Start by lightly sanding and cleaning the surface of the box.  I painted my box with acrylic paint in a light beige shade and allowed it to dry.

Next I applied crackle paint medium.  This stuff is kind of gooey and thick.  The thicker you apply it, the bigger the cracks you get.  I didn’t want too much texture to my surface so I went with a moderate coat.  As it dries, you’ll see the surface start to crack.

When the cracks start to appear, you can hasten the process using your heat embossing tool or a hair dryer.  It’s really cool to watch the cracks form.  Here’s a closer picture of the cracks:


Once the crackle paint was dry, I rubbed some distressing ink into the surface and gave it time to dry.


While it was drying, I created my design in Photoshop. I wanted a nice wintry scene with rolling hills. I saved the design as a .jpg and "print-and-cut" it with my Silhouette.  
Look at what a great job the Silhouette did cutting those itty, bitty, tiny snowman arms!

To add some sparkle to the snowy hills, I painted on a bit of Glossy Accents and coated them with fine glitter.  I also applied the glitter to the snowflakes, snowman and penguin that I cut out.


I used Mod Podge paper adhesive to adhere the scene and snowflakes to the box. Once that was dry, I used Mod Podge Hard Coat to seal the project.  I like to use the hard coat as it dries non-tacky and will eventually become water-resistant. This is really nice for projects that you will want to be able to wipe with a damp cloth to clean.  I apply several coats of the sealant (4 to 5).  Allow plenty of time for drying and sand lightly between coats.

For the lid, I created a decorative edge using an edge punch, then covered the lid in papers.  I then applied the sealant coats of Mod Podge. Then I trimmed it with some ribbon. I used my ATG gun to adhere the ribbon.

Now I've got this really darling container for storing our hot cocoa packets. 


1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips