/*Drop Down Menu*/

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Baby Shower Diaper Cake


Now that the shower for my niece is over, I can share this little beauty with you.  I wanted to make something for her baby shower. I also wanted to walk through the baby aisle shopping for really cute stuff.  My kids are grown and it's fun to look at all those tiny little outfits for a change! 


I also wanted the gift to be useful.  So I got out my craft supplies and made up this diaper cake for her.  Can you guess that she is having a boy?  After visiting her registry list, I saw that she had selected things with monkeys and lions on them. So I made sure to include them in both the items I picked up from the store as well as to create some cute accents for the cake.  I scored the jackpot when I found the ribbon with the monkey face on it!




The useful part to the cake is not just the diapers, bibs, socks, toys etc. The paper crafted items can also be used.  I created the 3D crib and baby carriage to be used as decor in the babies room.



The paper pieced animals can be used in the baby book or scrapbook, or even placed in frames for the walls of the babies room.






I didn't take photos of the step by step construction of the cake. But I used the basic diaper cake construction. I rolled all the diapers and secured each with a small rubber band.  I cut a piece of foam board into a circle as the base and glued lace to the edge.  I then placed a bottle of baby powder in the center and started surrounding it with diapers. The lowest level has three rings of diapers standing up encircling the bottle.  The next layer has 2 and the top layer is just one ring of diapers.


I wrapped the bottom layer with a baby blanket.  Each layer then got wrapped with the two ribbons, a large blue and the monkey face ribbon on top of that.  I tucked the bibs and socks into different layers.  Attached the paper pieced characters.  To secure the stroller and crib, I used sewing straight pins.  I tucked some pacifiers into the crib.


To top off the diaper cake, I tucked a monkey toy in the center of the top layer.  I created a card using the words Sweet Baby. I attached the card to a wooden dowel and careful inserted it behind the monkey toy, down into the center of the cake for added stability.






Shared at:
Crafts and Me
Ruby's Rainbow
Simon Says
Anything Goes Challenge Blog
Bearly Mine
Crazy Amigo
Make it Monday
Inspire Me Fridays
Art with no Boundaries
Whipperberry

20 comments:

  1. Such an amazing creation-- the pram and crib are so sweet in blue and the animals super cute
    Saw your link on MIM
    Cheers
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is such an awesome creation. I bet your niece was over the moon.It looks quite a labour of love.Fantastic.Thanks for joining in with us over at Ruby's Rainbow 'Cute Animals' challenge.Good luck.Hugs Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun diaper cake! You created the most darling elements and the buggy is awesome. So glad you linked up at Art With No Boundaries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous.Thanks for sharing with us at Anything Goes.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is INCREDIBLE! SO many adorable little details, and including some of the gifts in the cake like that... genius. Lots of work and love put into that 'cake'! :) Thanks for playing along in the "Anything Goes" challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp challenge blog! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so cute. what a great idea with the 3d items and cutouts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful nappy cake. love all the embellishments Thanks for joining us at AWNB
    Paula DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow!!! this is truly magnificent, i have seen a lot of nappy cakes but this is the best i have seen so far.

    Thank you for joining in the fun at Ruby’s Rainbow challenges for our * Cute Animal * challenge

    Hope you will join us again
    Hugs Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so adorable and lovely!

    what a wonderful idea, with all those sweet animals!

    thanks so much for playing along with us at Ruby’s Rainbow Challenges!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is so lovely hunnie...your cradle and pram are also outstanding...love the little monkey...Thanks for joining us this week at Make it Monday...
    Hugs,
    Marjorie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful gift for your niece and very clever, love the monkey theme. Thanks for entering at Art With No Boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh! This is such an amazing gift to give! Wow!! Stopped by from MIM!
    Hugs,
    Karen C
    #'s 3, 67, 165, 187, 222, 258, 260

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so cute! Thank you so much for joining us at Bearly Mine "Shaped Card" Challenge this week. Good luck!

    Hugs, Natascha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your diaper cake!!
    So many details!! Amazing!!
    Thanks for sharing your project at Crafts and Me Challenge
    Blessings,
    Marissa Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is really awesome. What a brilliant make. Thanks for joining in our anything goes challenge over at Crafts and Me with this fabulous creation. Hugs...Mona

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cathy, this is such a imaginative project and the perfect gift. All the elements you created are fantastic, and I also love all those little monkeys. Thank you for sharing this on Art With No Boundaries. It was fun to come and see this.
    :) Chris / CS Designs

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a unique creation! I've never heard of a diaper cake--I've been out of the baby loop too long! Congratulations on being featured on Art With No Boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where did you find the blue monkey face ribbon? I need it for a project for my niece's baby shower. =)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for your interest in my diaper cake. I found that ribbon at an AC Moore store. It was just perfect for this project!

      Delete
  19. How did you do the cut outs of the monkeys and lions? They are so adorable that I want to make them for a project.
    Thanks,
    Corrina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips