/*Drop Down Menu*/

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Travel Journal Smash Style

Whenever we travel, I always take a notebook to keep track of my thoughts. I jot down things we did, places we visited and laughs that we shared. These notebooks come in handy when I finally get around to scrapping our trip (usually months or even years later!). I can read through them and be reminded of all those wonderful moments that I never wanted to forget. Some of them I only remember because I did write them down!  :-)

Lately, I've been making my little travel journals a bit fancier. Instead of the little lined notebook from the office supply shop, I've been making personalized journals for my trips.  It's fun to do ahead of time when you are excitedly anticipating your vacation.


This little book was really easy to make. I designed it in Photoshop using digital scrapbook elements.  I printed it on a piece of 8.5"x11" canvas textured paper in landscape orientation (Simply folded the cover in half lengthwise to create the album).  I painted on a few coats of Mod Podge Hard Coat decoupage medium. The nice part about the Hard Coat variety, is that it dries with no tackiness and, once it is cured (only takes a few days), you can actually wipe it with a damp cloth to clean it!

I used 3 hole punch graph paper (turned landscape) for the paper inside the journal. I would have preferred to not have the 3 hole punched type, but it was what I had on hand.  I like to use graph paper in my journals. Not only does it give me lines to write on (if I want to), but it also makes it easy for me to sketch things in perspective if the mood so moves me.

To create the "binding" for this journal, I simply punched 2 holes through the cover and inside papers, then tied some twine through the book. Doesn't get much easier than that!


For a little added "bling" I strung some beads where I tied up the twine.

This next travel journal is a bit more involved.  I created this one as a Smash type journal. I created the cover using the digital scrapbook kit Aloha Spirit by Stelljane. I printed the covers out and decoupaged them to chipboard. I also used the Mod Podge Hard Coat on this one, so I would have the nice finish that is easy to clean.


This book is larger, it measure 9" tall x 5.75" wide.  Inside I used a combination of graph paper, pocket pages and envelopes.  In the pockets, I've prepared some elements that I can use to title or accent my journal pages.

The pockets and envelopes can also be used to keep memorabilia and ephemera that we collect on our trip.

I don't put photos in my journals. For one thing, I don't have a way of printing my photos when I am away.  I also don't want to take time away from enjoying my family and vacation to be scrapping.  But I do make notes in my journal of  photos that I really like or I know I want to scrap later.  When we get home, I'll have everything right together in my journal to help me get to scrapping all my photos.

I'm really enjoying taking the time to create these more personal travel journals. It gives me just that little bit more incentive to make sure I journal about our travels.  And then, when we do get home, and reality returns, even if I don't get around to scrapping the photos for a while, I at least have a handy, and attractive, journal to read and reflect on our trips.










Shared at:
By the Cute & Girly
Card and Scrap
Creatalicious
Mema's Crafts
Oozak
Scrap it Girl
Sparkles Forum Challenge
Art with no Boundaries
Make it Monday
Tuesday Alchemy

Tip Junkie handmade projects

25 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the journal page with the parasol and chair. The front and last page work perfectly on their own, and they form a smashing image together! Real work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to document your trip. It's so easy to forget the little moments. Your trip journals are very fun and inviting. Great designs. Thanks for joining our challenge at Art With No Boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a lovely little summerbook.

    Thanks for joining us at Card and Scrap :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it... such a great idea and what a wonderful way to store all of the travel memories. super cute, thanks for sharing. Thank you for joining our challenge over at Scrap IT girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I came by from MIM. These journals are fantastic! :)

    Eileen

    P.S. We have an Anything Goes challenge this week at Tuesday Alchemy. Stop by to play if you have a moment! :) http://tuesdayalchemy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your travel journals with us at Art With No Boundaries. It was very interesting to read how you created them and how you use them. If your trips are as much fun as your journals look you've had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous journal!

    Thank you for joining us at Sparkles challenges for our * Summer Fun * challenge.

    Hope you will join us again, good luck in the draw.
    Hugs Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really beautiful journals...I'm in the middle of making one for my granddaughter who is going to Paris in a couple of weeks..They are a lovely way of keeping your notes...
    Thanks for sharing with us this week at Make it Monday....

    Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!

    Hugs,
    Marjorie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous idea, great creation. Thanks for joining us at Creatalicious
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your journals are gorgeous! Love the binding on the first with those pretty beads. All the details in the second are lovely! So very glad you linked up at Art With No Boundaries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love tour journals they are both so different but equally gorgeous
    Thank you for joining in at SMC this time

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so awesome!! it looks so real! i feel like i am there sitting on that beach!!

    thanks for joining us at tuesday alchemy! hope to see you again soon!

    cheers!
    kelli

    tuesdayalchemy
    loveshappyhour

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a really cool way to dress up a journal. Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Mema's Crafts and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. excellent journal!! very effective!

    Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Alchemy Challenges!!
    hugs
    xMx

    you can visit
    http://whenthescraphitsthefun.blogspot.com/
    for my free digis!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely in love with your project! Thanks for sharing!
    I saw this on Make it Monday!
    These are my entries: # 129, #158, #160, #162, # 250 and #252 would love it if you could visit.
    There is also some candy HERE!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your journal just right for our summer skies challenge at AWNB thank you for joining us
    Paula DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. BEAUTIFUL journals...what a FANTASTIC way to keep wonderful vacation memories and ephemera organized until you have time to scrapbook them! Thanks for the great tips, too! So glad that you entered Scrap-It-Girl's "Small Things" July challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea, and love your little books, especially the one with the Aloha cover. So bright and colorful with such a nice summer look. Thank you for sharing this on Art With No Boundaries.
    :) Chris / CS Designs

    ReplyDelete
  20. They turned out awesome! I especially like the first one. I will need to check that Hard Coat mod podge, sounds interesting! Thanks for playing along with Scrap It Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both of these are awesome, I love the colors you chose for each one, thanks for entering at Scrap It Girl, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so glad I finally have time to catch up on all the Oozak entries - yours is FAB! I wouldn't have wanted to miss that bright cheery journal - super!!!

    Sandy, Oozak DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love your travel journal! The bright colors really make it pop! Thanks for joining the challenge at Scrap It Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for entering the Scrap It Girl "Good Things come in Small Packages" Design Challenge. Your entry is awesome --- love your journals, you might have a new customer on Etsy in me!!! For more crafty inspiration follow my FB Page: www.facebook.com/mothershipscrapbookgal
    xoxo, Rina Gonzales, Scrap It Girl Design Team Member

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love these projects! Make me wish I was at the beach right now! Thanks for joining us at ScrapitGirl for the July challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips