/*Drop Down Menu*/

Monday, October 22, 2012

Tuxedo Card - Revisited

UPDATE: I've added a link with a PDF version of the templates for those that want to hand cut.  Download the PDF version HERE.

Way back in 2007 I made a Tuxedo card for a friends wedding. I hand cut it. Then recently, I got an email from a blog reader asking me about that card. She mentioned that she has a Silhouette Cameo. So, I decided it was time to revisit the Tuxedo Card.


This is the original card that I created. The reader that contacted me is trying to make this card for each of the groomsmen in her wedding party. No bride-to-be should have to suffer through hand cutting these pieces when they've got a Cameo. And since I'm a new Cameo owner myself, I thought I'd whip up a .studio file for this card to make her task that much easier. And guess what? I'm sharing it with all of you!  You can download it HERE.  In return, I'd really appreciate it if you could take the time to become a follower of my blog Scraps of Life and like my Facebook page.


Here is the new card created using the .studio file that I created. Now here is how to assemble the card:


1. Download .studio file to cut using your Silhouette electronic cutter.

2. Cut shapes using black and white cardstock as appropriate. Cut lapels using velvet cardstock (optional). Or cut lapels from black cardstock and apply embossing or flock powder and heat emboss. I used embossing powder since I don't have any velvet paper.

3. Fold back (slightly) the back of the black jacket on the dotted lines.

4. Fold down the shirt collar corners on the dotted lines.

5. Insert mini black brads for the buttons on the shirt front. Or use self adhesive pearls as buttons.

6. To make the bow, cut ⅝” wide red ribbon to 3.5”, then fold the short ends under to make a 1 ⅛” loop.




7. Pinch the center and wrap thin wire around it. Cut another 1" piece of the ribbon. Fold and adhere the long edges toward the middle on the back of the ribbon. Then wrap this around the wire of the bow tie and adhere the ends on the back. Adhere the bow tie to the white shirt.

8. Align the shirt with the back of the jacket and adhere in place.

9. To make the cummerbund, cut 3 pieces of the ribbon at 3" length. Fold and adhere one long side of one ribbon piece toward the back. Repeat on a second ribbon piece. On the third ribbon piece, fold and adhere both long sides under toward center of back of ribbon. Lay the 1st piece with the folded edge at top, then layer second piece of ribbon with folded edge slightly below 1st. Place 3rd piece of ribbon (both edges turned under) to line up with bottom edge of cummerbund. Adhere all in place.

10. Adhere the cummerbund to the bottom of the white shirt, hiding the seam; trim any excess ribbon.

11. Refold the dotted lines on the back of the jacket (slightly) to make the card easy to open.

12. Adhere the two small white pieces of cardstock to the bottoms of the sleeves to make shirt cuffs. Adhere the sleeves to the jacket back, placing the adhesive on the top half only (from shoulder to just below elbow).

13. Adhere lapels to the front pieces of the jacket using thin foam adhesive.

14. Set two black brads through the right piece of the jacket. Adhere the pieces to the jacket back, placing adhesive on the sides only. Be certain to tuck under the lower part of sleeves.

15. Refold the dotted lines on the back of the jacket.

You can also dress up the lapel with a boutonniere if you like.


Shared at:


39 comments:

  1. This is so cool, Cathy!! You have the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just attended a wedding this weekend and was racking my brain on something creative to make. I thought it was so awesome the first time and adding a little velour to them makes them even spiffier! You're so awesome for making that file and sharing! I wish I had a Cameo to make it on, guess I will go back to the 2007 reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic and so creative, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous card and then the bonus of a cutting file so I can do it myself. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love this. A very clever card, very creative. Thanks for joining us at ATCs and Fat Pages With Attitude :) xx -Paula DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful i love it. i'd have to cut by hand though as i don't have a machine lol. It looks really good . Thanks for sharing with us at challenges 4 everybody . Hugs trisha xdt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a fabulous card--absolutely love this design and texture! And it is so nice of you to give the directions for making it! Thank you for that. Also, thank you for sharing this with us at Lady Anne's! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! Out of this world cool, Cathy! I'm studying the design in the hope that one day I'll muster up enough courage to make my ery own tux. Thanks for visiting me...and leading me to your fab work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very cool - do you allow pinning - I will need to find this post again once I get around to making the tux in the mean time off to like you

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fabulous. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is Stunning Cathy. I wish I had a cameo machine..I saw this on MIM..Faye

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cards. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I´m absolutely stunned, this is so awesome!

    Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us this fortnight at The Squirrel and The Fox.
    Best of luck and we'd love to have you visit again!

    Mian
    The Squirrel and The Fox Design Team Member
    http://mianspysselhorna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful creation. Really enjoy the tutorial step by step. Thanks for joining at One Stop Craft Creation
    Hugs
    Dewi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super card, love the idea and great step by step intructions, thanks for joining us over at the CBN Challenge this month
    Hugs
    Ang
    Crafty Bloggers Network DT
    My Blog: A Crafty Blether

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous card. Congrats on a great tutorial
    Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhhhhh I love love love your tuxedo card!!
    Thanks for playing along with the "Napoleon's Buttons" challenge at Drunken Stampers this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super card for the occasion, love it. Thanks for playing along with us over on Fashionista.
    crafty hugs
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a fabby card and great design. Thanbk you for joining us at Fat Pages and ATC's this fortnight. Abbie (Owner) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulose card. It is so stunning. Thanks for the insturctions also. I don't have the means to cut this out so can't use the freebie but thank you for giving it. Thanks for joining us at lady annes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so "wow." Saw this on Lady Anne's challenge. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO CUTE! So much detail and so great! You should get bonus points this week because your whole card is made of die cuts! Thanks for playing with us at HIMCR!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I sent your web address to a friend of mine who is planning a wedding and she wanted to know if it was possible to do one half bride and half groom? I'm thinking it might look strange, but maybe not! The Tux is just stunnning!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fantastic card! So worth the time it must take you to make it, it's so special. Thanks so much for joining us for this week's Creative Inspirations Paint challenge! :) hugs, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW, this is absolutely FANTASTIC!!! What a perfect idea....thank you so much for sharing :)

    Thank you also for playing along with us at Fussy and Fancy Friday Challenge...good luck!

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG!! Thanks a lot!! You made my day ;) As soon as I make it I will let you know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is absolutely stunning! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Ann's
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is very cool! i have to remember this one for later! thanks for joining us at Fussy and fancy this week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So you're the one...I saw this on Pinterest and my jaw dropped-it is so cool!

    I pinned it to my board on Cards I want to recreate. And I did make one.
    http://pinterest.com/carole_sweeney1/recreated-cards
    I will edit the pin with a link back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a cool card ...
    Thanks for joining us at creative Stampfriends.

    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing card, so creative! Thankyou for joining us this month at Crafty Bloggers Network.

    Geraldine M
    CBN DT

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so awesome!! Very creative!! Thanks for playing with us at Drunken Stampers!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Cathy!
    Wanted to let you know that your awesome tuxedo card was selected as the "Life of the Party" winner on Drunken Stampers for the "Napoleon's Buttons" challenge.
    Thanks for playing along with us and be sure to visit the blog to grab the Life of the Party badge for your blog!
    https://drunkenstampers.wordpress.com/2012/10/30/life-of-the-party-winner-challenge-102-napoleons-buttons/#comment-1200
    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Cathy,

    I love this card! I downloaded the Studio file but it comes up blank in my Silhouette program and it appears to only be an 8 kb file in the zip. Am I doing something wrong? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked it and was able to open it without a problem. Perhaps try downloading it again?

      Delete
  35. I can't thank you enough for posting this tutorial and template! It is now January 18th, 2014 and a wonderful and considrate person from http://scrappycath.blogspot.com (your comment to her is he last entry on this page) took the time to email me on Splitcoaststampers and inform me that you had this available. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You were such a doll to gift this file to the bride-to-be and then to share it with your readers! Thank you ever so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips