/*Drop Down Menu*/

Friday, December 27, 2013

Photo Memorial Ornament


This is by far the most precious gift that I gave this Christmas. I created this for my mother-in-law.  My father-in-law passed away several years ago. He is greatly missed by all who knew him.  When the gift is this special, it really is a treat to create. The more work involved, the more time I got to spend reflecting on what made this man such a special part of the lives he touched.

You may be wondering how I got his photo on the ornament. I have a beautiful portrait of my in-laws. I scanned it into Photoshop. Next I created a black and white, high contrast image.  I then worked to get just him isolated.



I brought that photo into my Silhouette Design Studio software and traced the image. I then worked to smooth out all the little dots and such to create a usable image. I cut the image from black vinyl and applied it to a glass ornament. I had already glittered the inside of the glass ornament before applying the vinyl pieces.


On the other side of the ornament I placed the "Little bit of Heaven" phrase that I also cut from vinyl. Applying the itty-bitty-tiny letters was a bit tricky. Even using transfer paper, many still needed to be placed individually.  To be sure that this will last a while, I sprayed it with a coat of decoupage sealing spray.

Ribbons helped to finish off the cap and dress up the ornament a bit.


To present this gift, I made a special box. I used a box shape available in the Silhouette online store by Samantha Walker. I modified it to make it large enough to fit the ornament with the bows attached.  I used an acetate sheet for the window, some Christmas paper cut with a lace border punch and more ribbons on top to dress up the box.

This was the one gift I was really excited to give this year. I think she liked it!





Shared at:
The Stitchin' Mommy
7 Kids College Fund
Crafting for All Seasons
Crafty Creations
Creative Belli
Divas by Design
Little Red Wagon
Miriam's Crafting Blog
Stampavie and More
Make it Monday
Tip Junkie Handmade Projects

15 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Lovely! I'm in the process of making a similar one (though I'm not brave enough to trace the photo, LOL!). Love the idea of a special box to give and store it in. Perhaps I'll find one of the cupcake box shapes I have. Thanks, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely lovely ornament! Thanks for sharing it at Little Red Wagon this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea! Thanks so much for sharing at Stampavie and More Challenge!

    Marja
    Stampavie and More DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just commented on IFS about this - it is incredible. So thoughtful and so unique. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treasure. Glad you shared it with us at http://7kidschallengeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful keepsake you have created, stunning.
    thank you for your visit to my blog.
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining our "Christmas, anything but a card" challenge at CFAS with your beautiful keepsake ornament. Best wishes for 2014 and good luck. Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure this gift will be .
    Very clever in its construction . Thanks for sharing on Make it Monday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house when this one was opened! What a precious gift and an amazing entry to share with us at Divas, Jx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful ornament and I'm sure your mil loved it. Thank you for joining the challenge over at http://www.7kidscollegefund.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an amazing and personal gift, love it!
    Thank you for playing again at Crafting For All Seasons!
    Have a wonderful new year.

    Hugs,

    Milnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, this is very pretty. What a precious gift. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations,
    hugs
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is stunning I bet this is a keepsake for all time. Thank you for joining us at Crafting For All Seasons. Good Luck. Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found you and am going through your blog as I just got a cameo and your ideas are inspiring. This ornament is so beautiful and the sentiment and everything, thanks for sharing and sure hope I can do some of the wonderful things you are creating!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips