/*Drop Down Menu*/

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Movie Organization


We love watching movies.  One of my sons is really into movies, he can tell you all about a film, who stars in it, who directed it, what awards it won or was nominated for and how it fared with movie reviewers. Thanks to this love of films, we have ended up with an ever growing collection of DVD's and Blu-Ray discs.  These things start to take up a lot of room in the house!

We have been through several DVD racks, actually starting with those that held VHS tapes and then DVDs.  But our collection was beginning to squeeze us out of space to enjoy watching the films. Several years ago I came up with a better way to store the discs without taking up the entire family room!

While walking through the Target store one day, I came across these Movie Sleeves by Atlantic. They are plastic sleeves that each hold 2 discs and DVD artwork. Using these sleeves, you can store 8 discs in the space that 1 DVD in it's box would normal take up!  Sounds great. So I grabbed a few boxes of these.  Now to find a basket or something to put the sleeves into.


I rounded the corner in the store to the home decor section and found one of these Bento boxes by Rubbermaid. It was the perfect size to stand the sleeves up inside. Using the bendable pockets in the box, I can stand 2 rows of the movie sleeves next to each other.  Hot dog!  Perfect!  And the Bento Box has an available matching lid. The lid is great, it keeps dust out of the box and holds the new sleeves ready for any newly acquired movies!

So I've had this one Bento Box in the family room holding all of our movies for several years. As we acquire new films, we put the discs and artwork into a sleeve and add it to the box.  We have over 180 films and TV series (some with multiple discs) stored in that box and still have room for more!


With Christmas upon us and knowing that we will be gaining some new film additions, I decided that I wanted to add another box and I wanted to dress up the boxes. Using some movie motifs and a marquee-like font (Limelight), I designed some labels for the boxes.  I cut the labels from heat transfer vinyl using my Silhouette Cameo. I then applied the labels to the boxes using my iron. Remember to reverse your images before cutting so the words come out the right way!


Here is a photo of how the discs and artwork fit into the sleeves
The art work is removed for the original DVD box, folded and placed inside the main sleeve. View from the front of the sleeve.


There is an insert to the sleeve that holds the discs. In this case we have the 2-disc version of ELF, so there are 2 discs in this sleeve. View from the back of the sleeve.

Love it when my crafty supplies can be used to decorate the house!




3 comments:

  1. I'm a HUGE movie buff myself, and I LOVE what you've made!! What an incredible storage system to hold so many movies!! AND the best part is how they've come out so nicely!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips