/*Drop Down Menu*/

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Creative Use of Silhouette Cameo

This story truly is about a very creative use of my Silhouette machine and how it saved the day! Let me give you some background:  My son has been working diligently on a jigsaw puzzle.  It's the first one he has done, well, except for those little puzzles you have your kids do when they are growing up. It's been a long time since he has done a puzzle, and never a 1,000 piece puzzle!  I thought it would be a great activity for him. He is so good at noticing differences and similarities and I thought it would help with his ability to focus and stay on task. You see, my son is on the autism spectrum and is working on building his employability skills.
Little did I know, how well he would excel at puzzle solving! He hit this one right out of the park!
But that's not why you are reading this post. You're wondering what does this have to do with a "Creative use of the Silhouette Cameo"?  Well, in the course of building the puzzle, one piece fell to the floor without being noticed.  And the dog ate it.  Yep you read that right! The dog ate it! The plan all along had been to turn this into a poster to hang in my son's room. Now what were we going to do with 1 piece missing? This is where my crafty Silhouette comes into play.

Using a piece of paper that I slide under the puzzle, I traced the shape of the missing piece and scanned it into my computer. Then I scanned the picture of the completed puzzle from the box top into my computer.  I brought both images into the Silhouette Studio software. I set the sizing of puzzle piece, used the trace function then printed it out. I compared it to the puzzle to be certain that I had it the correct size.
Then I resized the image of the completed puzzle until I had it the correct size and located it under the puzzle piece in the software. Once I had everything just as needed, I used the print and cut feature to create a new puzzle piece.

Knowing that the paper piece I just cut would not be as thick as the rest of the puzzle, I also cut the puzzle piece shape out of a used cereal box a few times.  I then stacked and glued these together until I had the right thickness. Then I glued the printed puzzle piece to the top of those and ta-da... we now have a completed 1,000 piece puzzle ready to be converted to a poster!

My Silhouette Cameo cutter saved the day after the dog ate a puzzle piece!


8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to use the Cameo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Perfect! My son is on the spectrum too (16 now) and I use the Cameo and my Scrapooking stash for his projects quite often but never for something as genius as this! I bet you just became your son's Superhero! Well done SuperMom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea! I would have never thought of it and your son looks so happy with his finished puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! That is genious, Cathy! What an awesome puzzle!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!!! :) You are a total genius!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that young man's smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the story. Your son is amazing as is his Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips