/*Drop Down Menu*/

Friday, October 23, 2015

Shabby Teapot Gift Box Hybrid!


Don't you just love it when you look at a digital or paper kit and you can see endless possibilities of things to create?  That was me when I first laid my eyes on the Shabby Fair Kit by Etc by Danyale.


 Yeah - I know you're drooling on it right now!  Grab it up! You know there are just tons of scrapbook pages, cards, and projects that you can use this one for! It's shabby, it's bright, it's full of awesomeness!

The shabby side of this kit called out to me first and made me think of a tea party. So I decided that I must make a teapot!  Not just any teapot, but one that can be used as a gift box.


This will be super adorable stuffed with some tea bags, biscotti, gift card or other treasures to give to a friend. Or maybe, set it out on your table with sweet treats or flavored tea tucked inside.

To make this I started with a cut file by Sweet Afton called Teacup Gift Box Design #78770 you can find it in the Silhouette Design Store.  In Silhouette Studio, I enlarged the cut file as big as I could while still having the pot and lid pieces fit on a 12x12 piece of paper.  The pot took up approximately 12" wide by 6.5" tall, and the lid was approximately 12" wide by 5.5" tall.

The Silhouette shape assumes you are using double sided paper that is plain, not patterned. There is a tab at the base of the spout and handle that would normally be glues to the outside of the pot. So that the attachment of the spout and handle would not show and would be more secure, I duplicated a mirror image of each the spout and handle pieces. I positioned them on my Silhouette design area so they would cut from the same paper as the pot.

In Photoshop, I created a 12x12 image. From the Shabby Fair kit, I layered the floral paper for the lid on top. I added a layer above that with a 12" wide by 6.5" tall shape.  I brought the plaid paper from the kit in and clipped it to the shape.  I then printed this out on 12x12 Polar White Matte 60lb paper by Red River Paper.  

I also created an 8.5"x11" image in Photoshop. This one I placed just the floral paper from the Shabby Fair kit. I printed this on 8.5"x11" Epson Premium Presentation paper. This will be used for making the scalloped circle base.

I places the printed 12x12 paper on my Silhouette mat and fed it into the Cameo.  I cut the shapes for the lid, pot, spout and handle.

In Silhouette Studio, I made a duplicate of the scalloped circle base piece. I positioned both to fit on an 8.5" x 11" area. I then put the 8.5"x11" printed paper on the mat, fed it into the Cameo and cut the 2 scalloped circles.

I folded and adhered the pot piece and lid piece into their appropriate shape.  I adhered the 2 scalloped circle base pieces back-to-back to create a stronger base with patterned paper on both the top and bottom.

There is a folded tab at the edge of both the spout and handle piece that would have been adhered to the outside of the pot. I folded those tabs back on my 2 handle pieces. I placed the 2 handle pieces back-to-back and adhered all but the tabs. I repeated this same process with the spout. I then used an X-acto knife to cut a small slit on each side of the pot, One for where the handle tabs would be inserted and one for where the spout tabs would be inserted.  I inserted each piece, bending the tabs back against the inside wall of the pot and adhered.

After adhering the pot to the scalloped circle base, I used a bit of clear glue to adhere a string of pearls around the bottom edge of the pot.  I adhered some lace trim to the outer edge of the lid. I also added a string of pearls around the edge of the lid.

To make the teapot even more shabby, I decided not to use the knob cut out that came with the Silhouette shape. Instead, I made a knob using layered flowers.  I used flower wire and glue to adhere the flowers. I poked a small hole through the center of the lid and slipped the floral wire through it. I used some glue to secure it under the lid.

Now this cute, shabby teapot is already for gift giving!








1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful project. Thank you for the links.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I do read them all and appreciate each and every one!

 
Blogging tips